Sunday, October 10, 2021

Week Seven

For class on Tuesday we took a trip to our new fabrication lab the department refurbished. We now have access to more laser cutters, 3D printers, a new a water laser cutter and an epoxy printer. 

We learned about how we could engrave using the laser cutter and what substrates we can use to print or engrave on. The lab tech passed around a booklet of different substrates and how the engrave/cuts would appear. 



My original thought was to use a substrate like single ply cardboard and only print using minimal color, but now I want to use only the engraving technique without any color. I'll have to make sure the engraving is at 100%. I don't want to cut into the package at all as it will effect the structure and will probably make it too unstable. 

I started working on some sketches. I have three different directions I'm exploring: nature, texture/typography and watercolor. I don't think I will want to include color, but it's a possibility. I asked the lab tech if I can borrow some scraps to explore with the colors. 







There are a couple of directions I think could work. Having the circle in the middle fits the current brand and looks like a globe too. I also think the leaf texture could be interesting if I can execute that softly in the background.

The watercolor maybe a direction, but I need to get the scrap pieces first from the lab to explore more. 

_________________________________________________________

I went to Target to find some more inspiration and take some photos of preexisting packages to use the content. I still want to use the Tampax/Always brand but I'll use some of the information from other products to work out what content I should have. 































_________________________________________________________

Both the Unders underwear and tampons are smaller packages compared to others. I would like to keep them a similar size but I want to make the packages a little more unique. I found three options on Templatemaker I can use.

Tampons:


Underwear:


Cup:




No comments:

Post a Comment

FINAL WEEK

Painting the sheets became a bit of a struggle I wasn't expecting. I started by painting one sheet, doing my best to get the yellow colo...